Saturday, November 22, 2008

Eating Chinese Food (Coming out to Gram)

Eating Chinese food


Making small talk

Grandma orders spicy food

‘cause the townie ladies never do

Gram, I have something to tell you

no that’s not right

I order the seafood dish

‘cause I’m on a diet

Gram, there’s something I’ve wanted to tell you…

no, that’s too long


We talk about the weather

She asks about my other sister

and I tell her she’s getting hitched next year

Gram, I like guys!

no… that’s just crazy

We talk about my father

and yes he’s still a loser

Gram, I’d like to invite my boyfriend over

no, I don’t have one of those


We get our food

We talk about how good the restaurant is

and I sip my much needed glass of wine

Gram, I had another reason for coming up to visit you…

no, she’s eating now

I look at my plate and take another bite

I take another sip of wine

Gram, I don’t know how to tell you this…

no, that’s just way too true


We talk about me

I get up and go to the bathroom

more to calm down than to get relief

Gram, there’s something else I wanted to talk about…

no, that’s too awkward

She mentions how messy my car is

and I say it’s usually much worse

Gram, I…

no, she’s talking again


She says I need a girlfriend to clean for me

wow, she’s old fashioned

This is it, this is my opening

Actually… I need a boyfriend, Gram

I’m gay.

I already knew honey,

and I love you anyway.

1 comment:

global001 said...

Bless, so beautiful :)